Should I Charge my Electric Car Every Night? | Let’s Find the Answer
Do you own an electric car? Well, you might be worried about your car charging, especially if you need to cover a larger distance. In such a scenario, you might think to charge your car battery overnight. But at the same time, you might be worried about your car's battery life. And a question that may click your mind is should I charge my electric car every night?
Well, yes, you can charge your electric car battery every night. If you're driving much to discharge all the battery of your car, it'll never harm your vehicle. Usually, an electric car can travel 250 miles distance on full charging. If you're traveling this much, charge your battery every day but it is not mandatory, you can take a break for one or two days according to your battery charge condition and regular driving distance.
Should I charge my electric car every night?
Typically, people don't feel any need to charge their electric car batteries daily. The reason is that they use it less. On average, an electric car covers a distance of 37 to 40 miles. On the other hand, the same car's battery can last until you cover 250 miles of distance. So, you can travel many times on a single charge. So, you don't need to charge your EV car batteries daily. Our recommendation is to use the best home electric charger while charging your vehicle.
On the other hand, some people need to charge their cars every night because the average EV charging time is 8 to 10 hours. Some of the reasons that make people charge their cars daily are:
● Range anxiety: Some people stay worried like what if they have to travel a long distance in an emergency. This type of anxiety convinces them to have 100% charging in their electric cars every time. So, they always prefer to charge their cars every night.
● No instant refuelling: Another reason for charging their electric cars every night is no instant refuelling. No doubt electric cars are eco-friendly. But we can't charge our cars instantly like the traditional gasoline fuelling. Just imagine your car's battery is dead during a long trip. You'll get helpless in such a situation.
To avoid such a scenario, most people prefer to charge their car batteries every night.
Benefits of charging your car every night:
When you ask yourself should I charge my electric car every night, you must think of these benefits:
● First, you would have enough charge for your everyday needs, even for emergency travel.
● Secondly, you can have an optimally charged car without the fear of wear from overcharging.
● Thirdly, if you charge your car at home, you don't have to go to fast-charge stations.
● Finally, you'll also get some financial benefits. You'll be spending much less than a gasoline car per year.
Can overnight charging affect your car's battery?
No, damaging a battery with simple charging is difficult. I know most of you are afraid of damaging electric car batteries due to overcharging. But you have to accept the reality now.
The reason is that the car manufacturers always ensure that the battery never gets overcharged. In most of the modern EVs, you can set maximum 80% for battery charging. A battery management system is always present in every car to slow the battery charging process once it reaches a particular level. Thus, it is not a problem if you keep your car charging whole night at EV charging station.
Should I charge my Tesla cars every night?
Yes, you can also charge your Tesla every night. Even the manual of Tesla has not mentioned the frequency of charging. So, you can charge it as many times as you want. But, according to the instructions of Tesla, you should keep the following things in mind:
● Firstly, charge your Tesla batteries between 20-80%. However, if you need to go on a long trip, you can also charge 100%. Your Tesla battery will stay healthy in both situations.
● Secondly, never leave your Tesla unplugged when standing without any use. Actually, a Tesla battery drains while parked, called vampire drain. You might wonder what could be the reason behind it. The reason is that the whole system of the car is running in the background, even if the car is parked. And it's not a good thing if you've to go on a long trip.
● Thirdly, always set a maximum level of charging to 80%. You can also schedule your Tesla car battery to start charging one hour before you've to travel. In this way, your car's battery pack will get warm-up.
However, if your Tesla car battery gets 100% charged, it's nothing to worry about. Your car battery will not be harmed.
How long it takes to charge an electric car?
Well, the time to charge an electric car may range from 30 minutes to 12h. It depends on the battery size and charging point level. For example, if you're charging batteries of different sizes with the same electric charger, it'll take a different time to charge both of them.
A general rule of thumb is slower the charging point and the larger is the battery, the more time it'll take to charge the battery.
Here're some common points about the charging time of an electric car battery:
● A 7KW prolong battery charger can charge a 60kWh battery in less than 8 hours.
● With a 50kW best home EV charger, you can charge your car to run for about 35 miles in 35 minutes.
● You can also go with smart car charging if you want. With smart charging, you get charge of your car at the best possible time for your battery life.
To sum up, answer yourself "yes, I can" whenever the question, should I charge my electric car every night comes to your mind. Even you can charge your Tesla car's battery to 80-100%. Left the fear of getting your car battery damaged due to overcharging. Most EV batteries come with an automatic system to slow down the charging after a particular time to avoid damage. So, just plug in your car if you have to travel a long distance in the morning!