How to Remove Stuck CV Axle | Step By Step Guide
A CV axle is a shaft that takes power from the differential or transmission and transfers it to the wheel. Thus, it plays a vital role in keeping the vehicle running. But it can get stuck in the transmission, hub or differential. Therefore, you must know how to remove stuck CV axle.
Well, the method to remove the stuck CV axle depends on its position. In this article, we’ll learn the methods to remove CV axle stuck in transmission, hub or differential.
How to remove stuck CV axle from transmission?
The best CV axles are of two types. One has friction pins, and the other has a roll pin to lock it into the transmission.
Remove the CV axle with friction pins:
Firstly, the most common type has a shaft on one side. This shaft goes into the transmission. Moreover, the shaft has splines that get locked into the transmission.
That’s why we often said CV axle get stuck in the transmission.
It’s super easy to remove such axles stuck in transmission. You don’t have to lay under the car to remove it. Just follow these steps to get your CV axle out of the transmission.
● Take a five-pound slide hammer and an attachment designed to remove CV axles.
● Thread on the attachment on the five-pound slide hammer and then tighten it.
● Now take this tool to the position where the CV joint axle is stuck into the transmission.
● Pull the axle towards you with the help of a tool.
● You will get the CV axle free from transmission within minutes.
But what if you don’t have the tool and don’t have time to buy one. Well, it’s nothing to worry about. We have a fantastic method to share with you.
● Just take a pry bar and hammer.
● Go on the opposite side of the car and hammer the axle out. For instance, if the CV axle on the passenger side is stuck, go on the driver’s side.
● Place the pry bar with a curved tip on the CV axle and hammer the pry bar. Consequently, the CV axle will be free from the transmission.
Remove the CV axle with roll pin:
On the other hand, a different type of axle may also present in some vehicles. It contains a splined socket that goes over a stub shaft of the transmission.
This type of axle has a rolling pin pressed through the axle to the stub shaft in the transmission. Consequently, this rolling pin locks the axle into the stub shaft. To remove such CV axle, follow these steps:
● Use a roll pin punch and a hammer.
● Hammer out that roll pin to free the axle from the transmission.
How to remove CV axle stuck in the hub?
Sometimes you have to push the CV axle through the hub, especially while working on the suspension. A simple technique is to use a hammer to get the CV axle out of the hub.
But the CV axle may get frozen sometimes and difficult to remove. In such a scenario, it’s not a good idea to hammer because it can damage the threads. Sometimes, CV boot clamp may be damaged and it may cause problem during the removal process.
So, it’s better to use a specific tool. OTC offers a great tool to bolt up to the hub and push the axle. Here’re the steps that you should follow to remove the axle while using the tool by OTC.
● First, take penetrating oil and spread it over the hub. It will help in the easy movement of the vehicle’s parts.
● After that, bolt the tool up there on the hub and screw it in the centre.
● Now use the impact driver through the tool and push the axle through the hub.
It will take the suspension apart, and you can easily remove the CV axle stuck in the hub.
How to remove axle in differential shaft?
Many times the CV joint stuck into the differential jack-shaft while removing it for replacement. For some, it’s pretty challenging to remove a stuck CV axle from the differential jackshaft. However, it’s not a difficult task.
Here’re some simple steps that you can follow to release the CV axle from the differential.
● Firstly, clean the grease from the stuck CV joint. It’s essential if you don’t want to create any mess.
● Now take a vice Grip and remove its screw. The reason to use the Vice Grip is its gripping teeth.
● After that, install the vice Grip into the Axle puller 27032 tool. Consequently, you will get the perfect axle removing tool.
● Position the vice grip over the cup of the stuck CV axle. Make sure the vice grip is tightly attached to the CV axle. You can also use a metric Allen head wrench to tighten the vice grip.
● Use a sliding hammer tool and thread it over the axle puller attachment.
● After that, align this hammer tool with the CV axle cup. However, make sure the alignment is straight to the stuck CV axle.
● Now, pull the sliding hammer to release the CV axle. Keep pulling until you remove the CV axle. If you’re unsuccessful in doing so, you should change the position of the vice grip.
Sometimes, you may require replace CV boot without removing axle, then you should follow another procedures or consult your mechanic.
So, does your CV axle get stuck? Well, this guide explains how to remove stuck CV axle. Firstly, you have to check the position of the stuck CV axle. Like is it stuck into the transmission, hub, or differential? Then, choose the suitable method to remove the stuck CV axle from that particular place.
Make sure you are not damaging the CV axle while removing it. Therefore, it’s better to use an axle removing tool. It will make the process easy, quick, and safe.
However, you can also try some other DIY methods to remove the stuck CV axle. But again, the condition is preventing the axle from getting damage!