Did you ever face a situation where you couldn’t understand why your vehicle is not moving?
Well, the only way out to move it is with the help of a tow dolly. Now, if you know how to load a non-running car on a tow dolly, that’s great. Otherwise, to get an expert is complicated, and it costs a lot. So, it is always better to know the skill. It is wise to learn about its use when you buy a vehicle.
Here we are with details about the easiest way to use a car dolly. It is a five to ten minutes task to load a car on a tow dolly, and transport it to the right place for recovery. Before that, learn about a few important factors for effective and safe car loading.
How to Load a Non-Running Car on a Tow Dolly?
It’s great that you are learning how to tow a car, but also understand the factors that need your attention during the loading process. These are:
Factors to Consider Before You Load
1. Model of Car
The model of the carmakers is sure how easy or difficult the loading can get. For front-wheel vehicles, the car tow dolly is best suitable. This type of car model does not require the workers to follow special steps during loading.
2. Weight of Car
In comparison to the vehicle in tow, the tow vehicle should be heavier. According to the experts, the difference should be at least 750 pounds. Without the use of safety equipment, it can prove to be dangerous for people working on the loading process. So, always consider this factor as a safety measure.
3. Type of Dolly
There are different types of car dollies, like the U-Haul tow dolly, that are prevalent these days. They are either mounted front-wheel or central pivot dollies. Chose the one that is suitable for your towing vehicle. Also, different car models may also need different dolly structures; therefore, you have to choose just the one that goes perfectly with the vehicle requirements.
Tips before You Load
Keep the following tips in mind before you load an undrivable car on a tow dolly:
● Always check the pressure of vehicle tires before you load.
● Double-check your tow dolly to make sure pins and chains are securely fastened.
● Make sure that there is no storage at the back of the vehicle.
● The straps, brake lights, car dolly ratchet, and other things should be ready before loading.
Essential Steps to Load the Car
Once you learn the tips about loading a car on a dolly, you are now ready to start the loading. Here are the essential steps that you have to learn about how to load a non-running car on a tow dolly.
1. Align Vehicle, and Car Dolly
● First of all, make sure that the parking brake of the towing vehicle is all set.
● Attach the couplers and safety chains with the vehicle. Also, recheck them to make sure they are secure.
2. Prepare the Dolly
● Fully open the ramps of the car dolly on both sides for wheels to ride upon them.
● Now remove the straps from the car tires, and allow them to stand flat on the dolly ramps.
3. Load the Vehicle
● Position the vehicle at the right place for loading.
● Make sure any guiding person should stand off to the side of the vehicle and car wheel dolly. There shouldn’t be anyone between these two.
● Now start loading the vehicle slowly up the dolly ramps. Keep on doing this until the vehicle comes across the stop at the front end of the dolly.
● At this point, check if the vehicle is at the centre. It should not be inclined towards the left or right side. If it is so, then remove the vehicle, and reposition it on the ramps.
● After loading, lock the steering or secure it with the help of a seat belt.
4. Secure the Vehicle
● Put the car dolly straps over the tire to secure it properly. Please check and make sure they are at the Centre to maintain the balance.
● Now take the ratchet and align it with the tire centre.
● You have to pass the straps 6 inches through the ratchet spool. This makes sure that the tire is secure, and if it is less than that then you have to change it. Also, maybe you can switch to some other type of towing method.
● Tighten, and fold the tow dolly ratchet after you confirm its compatibility for the vehicle tire.
● Further, use the safety chains to fasten the whole structure of the vehicle. You can use the S hooks at the end to complete the security process.
5. Finish Loading
● Lift the tow ramps, slide them in a backward direction, and into the car. Do this unless or until the latch pins reengage.
● Before you finally move the vehicle, make sure that all lights are properly functioning position, and every component is secure.
6. Test, and Adjust
● Test the car by moving it around. Slowly drive in the right and left direction by taking turns. During this time, check the straps of the tire. If any of them is lost, retighten it.
● As you drive for about 5 miles, check the hook-up connections. Re-check them after another 50 miles, and do the same as you travel more with time.
Well, you must be now quite familiar will steps about how to load a non-running car on a tow dolly. If you learn and practice exactly according to the given information, you are ready to hit the road. Even if your car stops running in a desert, you will be able to avoid hideous suffering due to it.