Grease guns do your job to lubricate the auto parts easily. However, you need to do proper loading of the grease cartridge. Otherwise, you may have to experience the empty cartridge during your work. I am saying this as I have experienced the same. So, you should learn how to load a grease gun.
Stay stick to the article if you're eager to learn how to load and use a grease gun. Besides, you'll also learn how to do grease gun refill and use it. So, are you ready? Stay focused.
How to load a grease gun (Reservoir gun) ?
Loading grease gun may seem challenging to you. But it's a pretty straightforward method. You just need a large size container with a lot of grease in it. Follow these steps to learn how to put grease in a better quality grease gun.
Step 1: Unscrew the grease gun head
Firstly, separate the gun head from the cap while loading a reservoir grease gun. The grease gun has an applicator tube and a handle attached to the head of the gun. Separate these two parts of the head just by loosening it.
Tip: make sure the handle of the piston rod is fully depressed. Otherwise, you may have to suck some grease accidentally.
Step 2: Put the barrel into the grease container
First of all, put the distal end of the grease gun into the grease container. After that, start withdrawing the plunger of the grease gun. However, make sure you're drawing the plunger slowly. At this point, you will see grease is pulling back into the barrel of the grease gun.
You might be wondering why I should use a grease container. If you're running a workshop, a grease container is a better option than a small grease cartridge.
Step 3: Remove the gun from the container
A fully withdrawn plunger will indicate that the gun is packed with grease. So, it would be time to remove the barrel from the grease container. Make sure to lift the open end of the barrel properly. Otherwise, grease may spill.
Now, rotate the barrel to remove all the extra grease clung to the gun. Besides, you can also use a wet cloth to wipe the grease from the gun's open end.
After wiping, attach the barrel again to the grease gun's head. The method can be different according to the grease gun you're using.
Step 4: Test if the grease is coming out of the gun or not
To see if the grease gun is working accurately, follow these steps:
● Firstly, press the piston rod's handle.
● Secondly, squeeze the grease gun's trigger.
● Thirdly, observe the grease gun's delivery. See if the gun is delivering the perfect amount of the grease from its tip or not. Most probably, you would see grease at the end of the applicator tube.
● Finally, wipe off all the extra grease from the tip and the barrel body.
How to load a grease gun (Cartridge gun)?
Before loading a small grease gun, you must know how to story the gun cartridge. Always store the cartridge in such a way that the part that you tear off should be at the bottom. Thus, you're allowing the grease in the cartridge to get settled.
Your grease gun will work efficiently when you use the proper method for grease gun refill and storage. Here is a step-by-step guide to teach you how to load a mini grease gun cartridge.
Step 1: Unscrew the cartridge cap:
Grease guns with cartridges consist of two parts, a cartridge and a nozzle. To remove the cartridge from the grease, you just have to follow these two simple steps.
● Firstly, turn the cartridge cap clockwise.
● Secondly, turn the dispenser in the anticlockwise direction.
Tips: If the cap is screwed tightly, use some elbow grease to open it easily.
Step 2: Withdraw the plunger
You'll see a plunger in a mini grease gun. This plunger aims at pushing the grease gun to take the grease out of it. Pull the handle of the plunger until it's fully withdrawn.
Some small grease guns have an automatic "cartridge eject" by pulling the plunger back. In others, the plunger may come out completely or halfway.
Step 3: Secure the piston rod:
Before removing the cartridge, make sure the piston rod is secured in one place. You can either slide the piston to a slot in the barrel. On the other hand, some grease guns have the button to take the grease gun into a retracted position. Similarly, a release tab allows the piston rod to move again.
After securing the piston rod in one place, you can easily withdraw the empty cartridge. Now discard that empty cartridge.
Step 4: Prepare new grease cartridge
● Clean the gun before loading the grease cartridge into it. Use the wet cloth to wipe the ends of the gun.
● Remove the plastic cap of the new grease cartridge. It'll allow the grease to flow smoothly.
● Make sure the grease in the grease gun is settled. You can do it in two ways either store it upside down or shake it hard twice. Using the second method, you can quickly fix the cartridge in the direction you want.
Step 5: Insert the cartridge into grease gun
● Firstly, insert the end of the cartridge with the cap into the barrel.
● Push it thoroughly into the barrel until you see its other hand.
● Remove the metal seal on the other end of the cartridge and discard it.
How to use a grease gun : A step by step guide
After loading the grease gun, it's time to know how to use a grease gun properly. Well, it's a simple and straightforward process. Just follow these steps and get ready to grease your automobile's parts.
● Remove the barrel head.
● Pull the rod handle in the backward direction.
● Lock the rod handle according to the method that you can use in your automotive grease gun.
● Open the new grease cartridge and insert it into the grease gun's barrel.
● Reinstall the barrel head. However, make sure it should not be too tight this time.
● Move the piston handle to its original position.
● Depress the rod handle to enable the grease to come out.
● Before connecting the nozzle to the gun, don't forget to pump a small amount of grease through it.
● Push the air breeder to remove the extra air from it.
● Position the grease gun coupler precisely at the area that you want to grease. Push the lever handle to allow the flow of enough grease from the nozzle.
How to load a grease gun is essential to know before you start using the grease gun. I've thoroughly explained how to load and use a grease gun with a cartridge and without a cartridge. I am damn sure if you follow all these steps, you can quickly load your grease gun. After loading the grease gun, it's very simple to use it. Stay connected to the article whenever you're going to load and use the grease gun.