Best Portable Car Jack (Review & Buying Guide)
From changing wheels to changing shocks, you often need to lift your car for even minor modifications and repairs. And, as it's never an effective way to do it by hand, you must resort to a floor jack or a portable car jack. Having the best portable car jack makes working underneath your vehicle far safer and more comfortable.
Unlike those heavy and bulky car jacks, a portable floor jack makes lifting operations more convenient and time-saving. You can simply store it into your toolbox after use and carry it in your car’s trunk when traveling. Besides, you also need to know regarding doing jack up your car safely. The demand of best car jack is growing rapidly. According to expert key research finding, over next 10 years the car jacks market will reach a growth of 3% CAGR during (2020-2029), from market size more than US$ 5 Bn in 2020.
However, choosing the best portable car jack is a confusing task as there are too many types, models, and brands to choose from. For example, the using of hydraulic jack is different than the manual jack. But if you find yourself to be in the same hard-spot, then you need not to worry as we are here to provide support to chose the suitable car jack portable.
Here we have given a detailed insight on the best auto jack reviews and these are the best portable car jacks in market.
Best Portable Car Jack Reviews
The most sold one at our selection is the Torin T83006 Big Red Hydraulic Trolley Floor Jack from the car jack manufacturer giant, Big Red. Big Red makes some of the best portable car jacks that you can find in the market. The performance and quality that comes with Big Red auto jacks are almost unparalleled.
The Torin T82012 Big Red Hydraulic Floor Jack is an excellent choice for everyday garage service as well as heavy-duty industrial use. Made of heavy-duty steel, this car jack is sure to ensure performance and strength. Perks like a 4,000 lbs. load rating and a built-in safety overload system have made this emergency jack at top of our list.
Here are the things you can consider:
Brand: Big Red
Item Weight: 21.2 pounds
- Crafted with heavy-duty steel.
- Features a safety bypass that prevents overloading.
- It comes with an extra-long neck that makes lifting easier.
- Comes with a lifting range of 5-7/8 inches to 13 inches
- Features an exceptional lifting capacity of 2 tons.
- Includes 360-degree swivel casters that ensure easy mobility.
- Most comfortable to use.
- Super quality materials.
- Powerful lifting capacity.
- Hassle-free mobility with casters.
- Features an ergonomic extra-long handle.
- Includes anti-overload safety feature.
- Collapsing issues mostly due to incorrect alignment.
If you need the best portable car jack for your SUV, then the new Torin T82012 Big Red Hydraulic Trolley Floor Jack could be the better choice for you.
Next, we have the Arcan 2 Ton Low Profile Quick Rise Steel Floor Jack XL2 from Arcan. When it comes to Arcan car jacks, there is innovation and performance with peak level excellence. And, the Arcan 2 Ton Low Profile Quick Rise Steel Floor Jack XL20 is no exception.
This product is a low profile, durable, and long-lasting car jack that is capable of taking on any job for professionals as well as newbies. The innovative low-profile portable car jack allows you to get in under almost any vehicle quickly, and that also comes in a far less expensive compared to the other options. This best car jack also satisfies the industry's leading safety regulation for lifting equipment, 2009 ASME PALD standard.
Have a look at its specs below –
Item Weight: 67.2 pounds
- This used car jacks come with a low-profile frame that ensures easy access under low ground clearance vehicles.
- Features dual pump pistons for quick floor jack saddle raising to load.
- Includes a universal joint release mechanism that helps control of the jack precisely.
- Crafted with steel for heavy-duty usage.
- Features a rubber saddle and a foam handle bumper for vehicle protection.
- Features a safety bypass that prevents over-extension of hydraulic ram and jack when use beyond the rated capacity.
- Satisfies the ASME PASE-2014 safety standard.
- Quick and easy to use.
- Suitable for heavy-duty uses.
- 2-piece handle that Allows for easy storage.
- Vehicle-friendly structural design.
- Comprises anti-overload safety feature.
- Ensures durable performance for years.
- A little bit heavier.
The new Arcan 2 Ton Low Profile Quick Rise Steel Floor Jack XL20 is a suitable choice if you need to work in a zippy.
When choosing a portable car jack or a compact floor jack, there are three key features you have to consider that are safety, speed of response, and performance. And, Blackhawk makes sure that all of these terms are met without compromising quality. To uphold this practice, Blackhawk has manufactured some of the most appreciated car jack models throughout the years. And, the new Blackhawk B6350 3.5 Ton Jack is a bright instance of that.
Crafted with premium raw materials that come with world-class safety features, this suv jack has features that wow automobile enthusiasts.
Here's all you need to consider about the new Blackhawk B6350 3.5 Ton hydraulic floor Jack –
Item Weight: 85 pounds
- Features a lifting Range of 5 inches - 23 inches.
- Crafted with heavy-duty steel construction.
- Includes a swivel saddle.
- It comes with a built-in safety Valve and bypass mechanism.
- Features a lifting capacity of 3.5 Ton.
- Features a fast-lifting technology.
- Contains a full one-year warranty from the date of the purchase.
- Ideal for working in the garage and other outdoor activities.
- Precise load control.
- Easy to use.
- Durable and stable liftings.
- Includes a safety bypass.
- Quick response.
- Heavier to operate.
If you’re searching for a portable car jack with a robust build, the new Blackhawk B6350 Fast Lift Service Jack is one of the best options for you.
Next, we have another marvelous model from Big Red, the new Torin BIG RED T10152 steel scissor lift car jack. What makes this model stand apart from any regular car jack, is its swift, collapsible, and compact floor jacks -all in one package. This car jack is used as an ideal and effective replacement for ordinary car jacks as well as an extra utility lightweight jack that you can store in the back side of your vehicle.
Crafted with a drop forged alloyed steel construction for quality and performance merged with a lifting capacity of 4 inches to 15 inches with a 1.5 ton load capacity, this model is a literal beast. The best jack also comes with a wide base, which enhances the stability and strength. This unit is 100% factory tested, ensuring reliability and safety. It also meets and satisfies the ANSI/ASME PASE safety standards
Here are the things you can consider –
Brand: Big Red
Item Weight: 7.7 pounds
- It comes with a collapsible, steel scissor and compact structure for easy access and storing.
- Features a lifting capacity of 4 inches to 15 inches.
- Handles a load capacity of 1.5 ton (3,000 lb.).
- Engineered using a drop forged alloyed steel for quality and long-lasting durability.
- It comes with a wide base, which adds durability and strength.
- Features a one-piece handle that delivers quick on-the-spot response.
- It comes with 1-year manufacturer warranty from the date of the purchase.
- Hassle-free operation.
- Easy to store.
- Compact design.
- Premium build quality.
- Ensures durability for years.
- No caster attached for easy mobility.
If you're in search of a lightweight, easy to operate and compact car jack, the new Torin Big Red Steel Scissor Jack could just be the one you can go for.
Nothing new to mention about Arcan and its portable car jacks. These car jacks are genuine mixtures of durability and performance, and the Arcan 3-Ton heavy duty Aluminum Floor Jack is just another proud precursor of the Arcan family.
Consisting of a collapsible quick-rise mechanism for improved and faster lifting operations as well as adequate durability that lats, the new Arcan 3-Ton heavy duty Aluminum high profile floor Jack is another beast from the Arcan family. This model can be a great companion to your everyday garage work, and the good thing is you can also carry it everywhere due to its compact design.
Here’s all you need to know about this particular model –
Item Weight: 61.9 pounds
- Crafted with lightweight aircraft-grade aluminum ensuring easy maneuverability.
- Features dual pump pistons that quickly raises the floor jack saddle to load.
- Includes reinforced lift arm that increases strength, controls chassis torsion, and enhances durability.
- Features side-mount handle that allows convenient jack positioning.
- Handles a load capacity of up to 3 tons.
- Features bypass and overload valves that prevent over-extension of hydraulic ram and jack use beyond the rated capacity.
- Satisfies the ASME PASE-2014 safety standards.
- Easy storage.
- Suitable for heavy-duty uses.
- Easy operation.
- Vehicle-compatible design.
- Includes anti-overload safety feature.
- Premium aircraft grade build.
- Heavier than regular scissor-style carjacks.
If you’re in search of a powerful but compact portable car jack, then the new Arcan A20001, 3-Ton heavy duty Aluminum Floor Jack is a great option to consider.
Pro-LifT is another big name among the most reputed car jack manufacturers. Its portable car jack has a specialty of low-profile design that promises durable performance. These ProLift hydraulic automotive jacks attract many 'do it yourself' enthusiast. They also make bottle jacks, garage jacks, floor jacks, aluminum jacks, which makes them a reliable and experienced name in the market.
This reputation brings you the all-new Pro-Lift F-767 Low Profile Floor Jack – a low-profile, easy to operate, robust package that can handle your regular garage liftings far better than any regular car jack. It's also got a detachable handle, so you can store it easily after each use or carry it in your car's trunk.
Have a look at its specs below –
Item Weight: 30 pounds
- Handles a load capacity of 2 Ton.
- Features a new low-profile design.
- Comes with a lifting capacity of (3 to 14) inches.
- Designed a bypass device that defends against over pumping for smooth functions.
- Comes with a safety valve that supports from overloading .
- Strong steel construction provides longevity and rust resistance.
- Lighter than most other portable carjacks.
- Promises durability for decades.
- Easy to use.
- Vehicle-compatible design.
- Rust resistance for longer service life.
- Additional overload protection.
- Compatibility issues with SUVs.
The new Pro-Lift F-767 Grey Low Profile Floor Jack is a good selection for your everyday car and light garage operations
7. TruePower 02-8331 Professional Flooring Jack
Next, we have another great portable car jack from the company, TruePower. This one isn’t your regular portable car jack. You can tell that by just looking at it. This good floor jack makes installing hardwood floors easier but doesn’t damage the flooring at all. The good thing is that you can utilize it with any floor thickness. With this, you can always have straight floorboards by bringing crooked planks into place for later nailing. Its easy to use ratcheting mechanism also makes it suitable for car lifting operations.
TruePower 02-8331 Professional Flooring Jack features rack dimensions of 12-5/8" L X 1" W x 5/8" T and rack plate dimensions of1-7/8" L x 4-5/8" W x 1-1/2" H .The lifting plate dimensions are 2" W x 9-1/16: H x 1/4" T with a gear diameter of 1" .Gear shafts bolt threaded of dimensions: 3/8" x 24 NPT 14 teeth.
Item Weight: 5.85 pounds
- Designed to makes installing hardwood floors hassle-free and helps straighten hardwood tile floors.
- Intelligent mechanism that won't damage the flooring.
- Versatile structure that is compatible with any floor thickness
- Ensures straight floorboards by helping bring crooked planks into place for nailing.
- Features a practical and easy to use ratcheting mechanism
- Lightweight hence easy to carry.
- Easy and quick lifting.
- Premium build quality.
- Versatile compatibility.
- Ensures floor-friendly operation.
- No overload protection included.
If you're more into a hassle-free, lightweight car jack and simple lifting jack, then the new TruePower 02-8331 Professional Flooring Jack is a reliable choice.
The car jacks made by Liftmaster are just as the company's name suggests, masters of lifting. And the second incarnation of the Ver.1 the new Liftmaster 2.5 Ton Low Profile Jack Ver. 2 is certainly no exception. It can easily fit under low ground clearance vehicles. This is a 2.5 Ton floor jack that can deliver peak level performance and provide you better access to smaller ground clearance vehicles. The jack can easily be fit under a clearance of as little as 3.15 inches and then maneuvered quickly into position. This floor jack is also a craft of the heavy-duty steel construction that ensures long-lasting durability. In a sentence, it makes your everyday low-clearance lifting smoother like never before.
Have a look at its specs below –
Item Weight: 29.1 pounds
- Designed with a 3.15"Extra low-profile.
- Features a lifting range of 3.15 inches to 14.5 inches
- Crafted with heavy-duty steel construction that provides long-lasting durability.
- Features a built-in safety valve provides overload protection.
- Comes with a new and improved hydraulic system that will last 10x times than the previous version.
- Features a 3-year warranty of the hydraulics.
- No calibration needed.
- Easy lifting.
- Premium build materials.
- Improved hydraulics.
- Low-profile sleek design aesthetics.
- The jack may jam due to poor maintenance.
If you’re looking for a budget saver portable car jack with premium performance, the new Liftmaster 2.5 Ton Low Profile Jack Ver. 2 is an ideal choice for you.
The Hi-Lift X-TREME car jacks are suitable for the severe heavy-lifting operations. They offer the "top of the line" all-cast version (48" or 60" sizes) that come with a unique top winch-clamp-spreader attachment. The combination provides the ultimate multi-use functionality to your everyday car jack lifts.
The X-TREME Top Clamp is a replacement for the top clamp-clevis of the standard Hi-Lift models. It provides a versatile range of abilities such as to winch, clamp, and spread up to 5, 000 lbs. X-TREME Top Clamp features 7/8” shackle holes for easy, secure, non-binding attachment and 3/8" chain slot for easy, safe winching and quick slack adjustments. You won’t require any hook in the process. It Attachable at any point on the jack's steel standard bar providing more versatility.
Have a look at the new Hi-Lift Jack XT485 48" Hi-Lift X-TREME Jack below –
Item Weight: 25 pounds
- Load capacity: 7000lbs.
- Features top of the line, all-cast jack.
- Comes gold zinc-coated clamp/winch/spreader attachment that promises the most effective anti rust for long use.
- Includes a two-piece socket and handle that is strong and dependable.
- Includes safety stickers with designated load details and instructions attached to the handle
- Vehicle specific fitting for more effective lifting.
- Competitive pricing.
- Super easy to operate.
- Easy to carry.
- Improved hydraulics.
- All cast jack that serves long.
- The coating may wear-off due to improper maintenance.
If you're in search of a heavy lifter with a robust build, the new Hi-Lift Jack XT485 48" Hi-Lift X-TREME Jack is an ideal choice for you.
Last but never the least, we have the new Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton Heavy Duty Ultra Low-Profile Steel Floor Jack from the company, Pittsburgh Automotive. Pittsburgh Automotive is widely appreciated for their premium hydraulic car jack that serves versatile purposes.
The new Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton Ultra Low-Profile Steel Floor Jack comes with a rapid pump quick lift technology. This is a heavy-duty hydraulic floor jack that can quickly get your vehicle almost 02 feet from the ground. The extra-low profile enables it to reach under most low ground clearance cars. It also has a dual-piston rapid pump technology that lifts most workloads within just 3-1/2 pumps.
Here are the things to consider –
Brand: Pittsburgh Automotive
Item Weight: 79 pounds
- Load capacity: 3 Ton
- Designed following better quality for expert technicians and pure car lovers.
- Crafted with tough accurate welded build up with an excellent finish.
- Features a dynamic pump exclusive double parallel pumping system that raises better than regular jacks.
- It comes with a universal joint for ensuring accurate load control in any position.
- Wide strong steel casting for easy mobility and stability.
- Safe and comfortable to use.
- Convenient to store and carry
- Industrial build.
- Hassle-free and quick lifting.
- Durability that lasts for years.
- Leakage issues if damaged.
The new Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton Heavy Duty Ultra Low-Profile Steel Floor Jack is an ideal choice for light-mid garage liftings.
FAQs : Compact Portable Car Jack
Which compact car jack stands should I go for?
Ans. Our experts have selected top rated portable car jack here for your easy choose. You can purchase the suitable tire jack according to your budget.
Should I go for the scissor-style ones or the ones with casters?
Ans.: It depends upon your purpose of using the jack. If you want to use only for your car you can buy Scissor Jack, for your garage or workshop, the castor one will be the best selection.
Which ones are the best portable car jack?
Ans. : Torin, Arcan, Pitsburgh are the good quality compact car jack. You can easily carry this lightweight car jack and use those.
What is the best car jack to buy?
Ans.: From our above most reviewed 10 compact car jacks, you can easily decide to buy the best trolley jacks as you required.
Who makes the quality hydraulic floor jacks?
Ans. There are many hydraulic compact car jack manufacturers in the market, from our above reviewed selection you can consider car jack lift like Torin jack, Arcan Jack or Blackhawk jack according to your requirement.
How do I choose a portable car jack?
According to your requirement and budget, read the features, pros and cons of the above mentioned 10 portable car jack or light weight jack. Then, you choose the suitable small car jack for your vehicle.
What are the exact Jack Points in compact car jack?
Ans. : There is a wrong perception that there is only one jack point under car. But, the actual phenomenon is, there are mainly six jack points and those are used according to the requirements. The points are at metal edge, near front and rear wheel, rear differential, sides of the body, rear cross member and front cross member.
Choosing the best portable Car Jack : things to consider
Choosing a portable car jack is quite a confusing task even now that you know all the best options that are available to you. Again, there's been a lot of instances where the best portable car jack for one person hasn't even fit his neighbor's car. Sometimes, you just don't like the looks; you're more into style, and that's completely normal. Let's get some basic ideas regarding the best car jack to buy.
What is a portable car jack?
The car jack is a mechanical device which is used to lift your vehicles for doing any maintenance activities. Most of the jacks are hydraulic and using hydraulic pressure to hold the weight. Usually, Its weight bearing capacity varies from 1.5 tons to 10 tons.
What are the types of portable car jack?
There are mainly three types of car jacks. Scissor, trolley and bottle Jack. Their functions are almost same but in a different way.
Scissor Jack: These are the most portable and light weight car jack. Most car owners keep these jacks in their cars. You can use this jack by winding its hand crank for lifting your car of a small distance around 20-30 inches.
Trolley Jack: More professional mechanics use the trolley jacks. These are safer and more stable to use. It has a long lever which is operated through hydraulic pressure. It can withstand from 2 to 3 tons weight.
Bottle Jack: It works same as trolley jack with hydraulic force but its design is different, it is bottle shaped. It can withstand more weight than trolley jack (3 to 30 tons).
Choosing the best portable car jack is indeed confusing. However, you don't have to be confused about that anymore as we got your back. Here we have added the crucial things that you can consider to choose the best compact car jack for your vehicle:
1. Vehicle Compatibility
Will the engine of a monster truck fit into an everyday bike? – Never. The analogy may seem ridiculous, but so is the case for vehicle compatibility. Not all portable car jacks support every kind of vehicles. There are a few things to verify related to vehicle compatibility. Most modern tire jacks are manufactured to fit most vehicle models. Yet, some models don't just fit. Many SUV owners face this difficulty as numerous car jacks can't handle SUVs well.
Again, many vehicles have dedicated slots for the jack to fit it where many do not. You have to be sure about your vehicle compatibility with the car jack you intend to buy. Please consider this matter seriously as when you get under a lifted vehicle for, perhaps some minor upgrades, and the jack is all that's holding the car from smashing right on you. Every year, there are numerous accidents where car jacks have failed and caused life-threatening catastrophes.
Therefore, always makes sure the car jack is compatible with your vehicle model. Ask the seller or company representative if you’re confused.
Material is another crucial thing to consider when buying any portable car jack. Many regular portable hydraulic jacks are made of weak and cheap alloys that can't take or handle the load well. As a result, they are either broken or bent sooner than you can expect, leaving them inoperable permanently.
Good portable car jacks are made of durable steel alloys that not only ensures durability but also comes with extra protective coatings that resists rusts and corrosion.
Hence, it’s a wise choice to consider the material of the car jack. Have a look at its spec list to have an idea.
3. Type of Portable Car Jack
Many types of portable car jacks are available in the market. But we can categorize them into two specific models – the scissor style ones and the trolley jack style ones.
The scissors style ones have a collapsible, more compact design. These are lightweight, easy to carry portable floor jacks. However, they usually don't come with overload protection and takes a long time for liftings as they typically don't include hydraulic systems.
On the other hand, the trolley jack style ones are heavier than scissor-style ones but usually have casters for easy mobility. These often come with hydraulic systems that make lifting operations quick and easy. They also feature overload protection so that you can work way safer with one of them. For these additional features, these types of portable car jacks are usually more expensive than the scissor style ones.
The choice here is up to you. Do you want some really safe and useful features for some extra money, or do you want to stick to the old-school light scissor-style ones? – It's your choice.
4. Load Capacity
Just like a toothpick can’t take the load of an entire brick, a car jack can’t just take all types of loads. If you have gone through our reviews, you may have noticed that every portable car jack has a rated load capacity. Some have a load capacity of just 2 Ton where some can handle up to 7 Ton. You must be sure about the load you’re going to handle and then choose a portable car jack that can handle that load.
The load capacity is another reason why many SUV owners face difficulties with an everyday car jack as an SUV is much heavier than your ordinary car. Again, if you're more into light liftings, a heavy lifting car jack is an overkill for you as well as an extra expense. So, be sure about your operable load ratings.
5. Safety Features
As we said before, when you go under your vehicle, all that’s keeping the car from falling on top of you is the car jack. So, it’s quite crucial to ensure safety as much as possible.
The compact car jack, especially the trolley jack style ones, have a safety valve bypass system that prevents overloading. If you have the budget, a feature like this is a must to have as often it could be a question of life and death. There are many cases of accidents due to jack failures, and that's why safety features like this have been implemented for prevention.
When choosing your portable car jack, try choosing one with a promising overload protection even if it requires some more money.
6. Handle Length
The length of the handle is another important parameter to consider. The longer the length will be, the easier it will be to operate a portable hydraulic jack. But that doesn't mean that having an enormous handle is just better as it'd be more challenging to carry hence losing the desired "portability," which we don't want.
When buying a new portable car jack, make sure that the handle is not too short again, not too long to carry it in your car's trunk.
How much is a car jack? Portable car jacks are a little expensive to consider, especially when they usually cost over a hundred bucks. However, if you have a handsome budget, you can purchase most of them, but if you're running a little bit low, that's not a big issue as there are a lot of affordable options available that serve just right. You can go for the scissor style car jacks as they are way cheaper and does the job quite well.
The design of the car jack is probably the very last thing to consider, but yet it's essential for many people. A good design can make your work more exciting and less-monotonous. A hot red splash here and there, and now your garage fills like an F1 racing pit stop. The colors, the designs are the expressions of your inner self. If all of the above conditions are correctly satisfied, choose a portable car jack that you find the most attractive to you.
A decent portable car jack or portable floor jack is not only an essential garage tool but also a must to have to carry on operations under your vehicle in a safer way. Hence, choosing the best portable car jack is a necessity that you should never ignore. It will help you a lot while doing the vehicle's maintenance activities. You can also easily carry and use the compact car jack.